For this week's weekly recipe, Chef Noel Enright has prepared an easy to follow main course; Meatballs in Tomato Sauce. This tasty take on the Italian classic has occasionally featured as a special in our Lakeside Bistro and always goes down a treat!
Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
500g lean mince
1 onion diced
1 clove of garlic, crushed or grated
1 tablespoon of ketchup
Worcestershire sauce to taste
Thyme, fresh or dried. (dried herbs have a stronger flavour so require less)
Salt to season
1 bottle of tomato passata
2 chicken stock pots or cubes
Dried mixed herbs
Pinch of cracked black pepper
To make the sauce:
Heat everything in a small pan, allowing the stock cubes to dissolve.
To make the meatballs:
- Gently fry off the onion and garlic and allow to cool slightly before adding to the rest of the ingredients.
- Shape the mix into little golf ball size shapes by rolling between the palms of your hands.
- Place in an oven tray and pour the warm tomato sauce over and cover tray with tinfoil.
- Bake in the oven for at least 20 minutes.
- Stir the juices into the sauce and serve with spaghetti.
Side salads, garlic bread and grated cheese all make good accompaniments with it.