One of The Lake Hotel’s key selling points is its natural surroundings; nestled on the lakeshore, overlooking the renowned Lakes of Killarney, with a stunning background of mountains and woodlands, surrounded by nature.
At The Lake Hotel we recognise our responsibility to preserve the natural beauty of our surrounding areas. We are passionate about the environment and we want to help minimise the affects tourism has on our landscapes and reduce the carbon footprint for generations to come.
We are conscious of the impact the day to day running of our business may have on the environment and are highly committed to constantly looking at ways to curtail the destructive effects our industry may have on our climate.
We are dedicated to implementing changes that will protect the environment and are proactively seeking ways to conserve natural resources and to minimise wastage of raw materials and energy. We are continually reviewing our sustainability progress and enhancing our environmental policies.
As part of this ongoing commitment,
- In 2018 we installed 4 electric car charging ports in our hotel car park.
- We have invested heavily in improved insulation and new thermostats, allowing us to reduce energy consumption.
- We have switched to a renewable energy source and upgraded to a more energy efficient boiler system.
- All internal lighting has been upgraded to LED, improving energy efficiency.
- We use recyclable materials and recyclable products where possible throughout the hotel.
- We aim to reduce water consumption and encourage guests to do the same.
- The Lake Hotel water comes from a natural well where the water is filtered down via 300 ft of limestone rock. No chemicals are used to treat the water. Water is tested and certified twice per year.
- The hotel has planted over 100 native trees in the last 3 years including Irish Oak, Ash, Mountain Ash, Birch, Douglas Fir, Scotts Pine, Beech and Horse Chestnut – expanding the sanctuary for wildlife in the area.
- The hotel grounds are a haven of refuge for native fauna such as wild tailed sea eagles, badgers, foxes, pine marten, red deer, otters, swans, and many common and rare species of birds.
We have specifically chosen to work with partners who share our values on sustainability.
We work with KWD Recycling (Kerry Waste Disposal & Recycling), one of Ireland’s leading waste and recycling companies. At KWD Recycling, they have a simple approach; “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” and they believe that we can all make a difference to the future of the environment by following these simple steps. To view a video on their approach click here
The lake hotel also works with the Handmade Soap Company who go to great lengths to make sure their ingredients, packaging and processing are environmentally friendly. Their heat & electricity is powered via river-fed turbine, from the River Boyne. The plastic they use for their retail products is 100% recyclable and made from 100% post consumer recycled plastic. They use FSC-approved, recycled card for their packaging and have an ethical sourcing policy with their suppliers. Their products are vegan friendly, for further details click here
The water supplied in guest’s bedrooms is from Claire Spring, a company who pride themselves as being “all about nature”. An environmentally, family run company, their bottling plant is powered completely by wind energy and their pure Irish Spring water is naturally filtered through Organic land and drawn from a protected underground source. The materials used are 25% recycled plastic (pcr – post consumer recycled) and 75% recyclable plastic in their bottles.